1999 September 22

Official decision

Well, I have talked with Peter about my plans. (Actually, I did that last week, but haven't had a chance to write a journal entry until now.) It was uncomfortable saying it all, but he seems willing to be very accommodating for me. It looks like I'll be able to get a leave of absence for October instead of having to resign up front.

Peter being understanding means I have a safety net; if I go to bootcamp and decide it's a horrible mistake, I can come back. At the moment I'm feeling quite confident that's not going to happen -- even if I decide web development isn't for me, it doesn't follow that I'll want to go back to research -- but it is best not to burn bridges.

So, awkward and exciting times. My decision is now public and official. Strangely, I am neither as exhilarated nor as scared by this as I might have expected. I guess I went through the emotional rollercoaster last month; now it's just a matter of following through.

. . .

The reason I haven't got this journal entry up 'til now is that I
spent the weekend in Vancouver, visiting my grandmother. Was a gorgeous weekend to go, full Indian summer. Everybody seems well; learned some interesting family history from Uncle Rob; met Jenn for a few hours downtown Monday afternoon. Was a good visit.

Post a comment
Yes   No   (like the Turing Test, but easier)

TrackBack Links
If you run a blog that supports TrackBack, you can link to this article with this TrackBack key.